Minutes: OIC Leadership Team Meeting (October 4, 2021, 4 P.M., Library, St. Paul’s Church)

Present: Kristi Hale (Chair), Sam Dorf, Judy Cook, Roger Crum, Leigh Ann Fulford,

Kate Furmanski, Joshua Green, Madeline Iseli, and Dan Turben


Excused: Kyle Ramey, Norbert Klopsch, Healy Jackson, Jeremy Newport


Meeting was called to order at 4:08 pm.


Meeting Minutes unanimously approved

  • September 24, 2021

Treasurer’s Report (Newport) -- Tabled


New Business

  • Succession Planning:

  • Electing a New Interim Chair: Madeline Iseli was unanimously approved to serve as interim chair of the Oakwood Inclusion Coalition.

  • New leadership team will be approved at the January 2022 general meeting.

  • Secretary Position: Sam Dorf needs to pull away from the Oakwood Inclusion Coalition due to obligations at the University of Dayton.

  • ACTION ITEM: Hale volunteered to serve as interim Secretary.

  • Discussion of Leadership: Leigh Ann Fulford suggested offering opportunities for co-chairs in the future, or alternatively to leverage the role of the vice chair to help mitigate the work load of the coalition. The leadership team discussed qualities for future leaders of the organization. A team leadership approach is desired comprised of a leadership team with diverse talents, experiences and gifts.

  • Review List: Green explained how our ranking system worked. Nominees with the greatest number of votes will rise to the top. The nominations pool helps us narrow our pool and guide our conversations. Crum suggested we reach out to all nominees to seek involvement in some way. Nomination Committee: Hale recommends tasking a group three or four from the leadership team to identify people who can help further develop this group (i.e. six nominees) to bring to the full leadership team. Nomination team should approach nominees one by one (top seven nominees). Meetings will take place in the next few weeks.

  • ACTION ITEM: Green will correlate list of nominees with the

  • general membership list.

  • ACTION ITEM: Jackson will share membership list and

  • liaison lists with nominating committee.

  • Normalize Meeting Times – Monthly best days were Mondays at 4pm or 5pm.

  • ACTION ITEM: A regular meeting time needs to be determined.


Committee Reports

  • Programs and Events Committee (Fulford): Klopsch has reached out to Dayton

  • MLK Leadership to see how OIC can tie in. Fulford will attend a monthly interfaith meeting to investigate holding an event.

  • Communications Committee (Jackson/Furmanski): Furmanski reported on OIC website updates and will send an email communication/newsletter update to contact list that will encourage becoming a member and give update on fall book discussion. Articles have been written for website blog.

  • Current Issues Committee (Iseli): no report

  • Membership Committee (Jackson): no report


Leadership Team Reports

  • Chair/Vice Chair (Hale/Cook): no report

  • Secretary (Dorf): no report

  • At Large Member (Turben): Oakwood Rotary Foundation declined grant request; Mathile Family Foundation and Kettering Health are pending.

  • At Large Member (Crum): Crum thanked the city, school, and library leaders for their instrumental role in establishing the OIC and read an inspiring 1948 letter from governor of NJ encouraging us all to do the right things.


Leadership Team Meeting Schedule: Doodle poll will be sent.


Meeting Adjourned at 5:50 PM


Respectfully submitted, Sam Dorf and Kristi Hale