Minutes: OIC Leadership Team Meeting (July 12, 2022, 5:30 P.M., Wright Memorial Public Library)

Leadership Present: Judy Cook, Roger Crum, Leigh Ann Fulford, Kate Furmanski, Joshua Green, Kristi Hale, Jacqui Housel, Madeline Iseli, Healy Jackson, Norbert Klopsch, Brandy Mariani, Mike Miller, Kyle Ramey, Dan Turben


Excused: Lisa Wagner


A quorum was declared.


Call to Order: Meeting was called to order at 5:31 P.M.


Approval of June 7, 2022 Meeting Minutes - Cook made a motion, seconded by Turben, to pass the June 7 Meeting Minutes. All in favor, none opposed. Motion carried.


Finance Report (Mariani) -

  • New officers have signed account at LCNB, and new Treasurer has online access.

  • There were no significant changes to account balance, holding at about $18,360.

  • Mariani will utilize a free software for OIC accounting.

  • Mariani will propose an operating budget at the next meeting. Committee Chairs should send preliminary budgetary needs to Mariani.

  • Larger projects and events beyond basic budget will be handled with individual proposals as the need arises. Turben requests appropriate lead time to allow time for fundraising.

  • Hale suggested an annual membership appeal. More discussion is needed on this topic.

Committee Updates/Discussions

Communications (Jackson, Furmanski) -

  1. The OIC-hosted Refugee Information event at Wright Library was very successful, with about 75 in person attendees and another 20 online. Elements that contributed to the event's success included strong promotion, Iseli's introduction, an exceptional panel of speakers, and the relevance and timeliness of the topic, with a focus on humanitarianism rather than politics. The OIC may have a sign-in sheet at future events to track demographics of attendees.

  2. See Addendum for report on communications efforts.

  3. Communications protocol - Leadership reviewed and discussed protocol. Crum and Jackson will review feedback and rework for next meeting.

Volunteering (Fulford) -

  1. Sam Davis has stepped down from the Leadership Team but remains a supporter of the OIC mission. Fulford needs a new partner on the Volunteering Committee. Communications Committee will send a message to membership to recruit a partner.

  2. Leadership need to sent Fulford a list of volunteer projects with which they are involved.

Programs and Events (Miller, Housel) -

  1. Wright Library will host Sinclair's Vestiges of Redlining: Mapping Equity in Dayton exhibit in September. OIC will support. Programming from Housel's contacts will accompany the exhibit. There could be sponsorship opportunities for area businesses to pay for speaker stipends. Housel will work on a fee proposal for fundraising.

  2. Committee will investigate starting an internship opportunity for an Oakwood HS student to work in an under resourced area. A potential funding source from an Oakwood donor has been identified, with likely timeframe of 2023.

  3. Committee will look into developing relationships with faith communities, and for ways to connect membership to areas of the world beyond Europe.

  4. No report on the food truck rally. Fulford and Furmanski will try to move this project forward.

Development (Turben, Iseli) - Nothing to report.


Announcement - Ramey will be retiring as Superintendent on December 31, 2022. His leadership and OIC participation will be missed.


Action Items -

  • Evaluate current website subscriptions and cancel those not needed; contact WIX to negotiate a lower rate; and submit receipts for reimbursement of expenses for website renewal (Green). CARRIED FORWARD

  • Look into issues with the communications@oakwoodic.org email address (Green). CARRIED FORWARD

  • Develop a draft of an annual budget (Mariani). CARRIED FORWARD

  • Submit Committee proposals to Mariani for operating budget (Committee Chairpersons). CARRIED FORWARD

  • Send Fulford a list of volunteer involvement (All).

  • Email a Refugee Program recap to membership with a link to the recording, and send photos and recap to the Oakwood Register (Communications Committee).

  • Email membership to recruit a partner for the Volunteering Committee (Communications Committee).

  • Finalize Communications Protocol for approval at next meeting (Crum and Jackson).

  • Develop a fee proposal for Mapping Equity exhibit speakers in September (Housel).

Parking Lot: Future Meeting Topics

  • Market Research Proposal

Adjournment: Hale made a motion, seconded by Mariani, to adjourn the meeting. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 6:46 P.M.


NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, August 2, 2022 - 5:00 P.M. Wright Library Community Room